-->

How Do You Know?

How Do You Know?
by Chris Johnson
(c) Copyright 2014

I was planning on writing something else. Of course as can happen to some of the best plans, they are sometimes replaced by something better.

Last week, on one of my other blogs, I wrote an article that concerned how often one should have a reading. One of you asked some very good questions and I'll attempt to answer them for you.

"Aussie" said:
"I have never had a reading of any kind done... I would love to but, everytime i think to i always worry that ill be paying some fake to give me a crap reading.. How does one know that they r for real?? Are we getting our money worth?? I wouldnt even know where to start looking to fnd one lol... Maybe next time when im in ur neck of the woods ill look u up Chris..." 

My response will read as a rant and all I can say is that I'm not. Aussie has asked a valid question and, in my usual long-winded way, I'll do my best to answer adequately. Also I know that Aussie isn't singling me out or insinuating anything either. :)

Here is my response.

One journalist who wrote about me hit an interesting nail on the head. It is tough being a psychic reader. Get it wrong and we're labelled as a fake. Get it right and we're labelled as a con artist.

What the - ?
The credentials of a psychic or intuitive reader are something that is questioned a lot. We hear on current affairs shows about the mediums who use the old "gypsy curse" con that goes along the lines of, "Ooooh, I sense some dark negative energy. You've been cursed, a particularly nasty one too. That is beyond the scope of what you are paying me to do right now. I would need an extra [insert exhorbitant amount here] to help you get rid of it properly."

Bapow!

Frightened client runs to the bank, takes out a second mortgage on their house, and pays up the medium who disappears shortly after with the cash in accompaniment to a Keystone Cops type theme music.

These kinds of people flourish in EVERY profession.

Some who know me well will know that I used to be in work as a computer programmer over a decade ago. I left the profession soon after so that I could embark on full-time performing just before the Y2K hype started. I remember, just before I resigned as a systems analyst & programmer, that another colleague told me the Y2K bug fixing was a great area to be working in.

He said some were collecting something like $200 an hour in contracts to make sure that systems were compliant to the Year 2000 and would not crash when it happened. You know what? None of us knew for sure and there were a lot of system analysts who made enough in that time before the year 2000 happened that they could have a very nice nest egg feathered with the money they made. Some retired.

Like a lot of others, to be safe, I turned the computer off before 2000 hit and then it turned on nicely the next morning without a problem. I even told my wife (at that time) to make sure she turned hers off. She refused. The computer kept working up until 2005 when we finally retired it and I was sick of upgrading and maintaining it.

A lot of people around the world asked if perhaps they had been conned.

I do know there were a few valid points with the effects of a new century on the dates. After all, a child born on 20th January 2000 would appear as old as a man born on the 20th January 1900 (both would be 20/1/00). Would that mean the man would suddenly be ineligible to have certain benefits because he appeared to be younger than he was?

The silicon chip side of it... hmmmm... Like I said, I wasn't involved in Y2K and was actually working a performance at the Royal Perth Yacht Club at the time that 1/1/2000 hit.... and I remember stopping a lot of spectators' watches BEFORE the countdown. Maybe I used the Y2K bug to my advantage... or not. That's another story.

So we see that computer programmers can be suspected of being up to no good too. Heck, we know some of them even write viruses from their computer while watching re-runs of X-Files in their mummy's living room.

How many times have you heard of doctors, psychologists, and even priests doing the dirty in some way on their clientele, etc.

How many times have you heard of a doctor MISDIAGNOSING? Do you call him a fake doctor?

How many times do you have to call a car mechanic back because they made a mistake and forgot to put a bolt back in? Do you call them a fake mechanic?

So the question comes back to the psychic who you come to when you need comfort, perhaps a
little guidance, to help you through a tough time in life.

If a doctor diagnoses you incorrectly, he/she made a mistake. If a psychic has a bad day, he/she is labelled a fake.

It's a pity as they are people also with the same human weaknesses, fears, shortcomings, emotions and baggage as everyone else. Some are better than others, some are absolute garbage who leave their clients even worse than before.

How do you know who is a good psychic to visit for a consultation?

The same way you choose a good doctor, mechanic, hairdresser and such.

Word of mouth is usually the best way. If you know someone has had good results with that practitioner (consultant) then you know you will likely receive what you think you are paying for.

ESPecially best wishes to you all,

Chris Johnson